Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Architectural Planner|
|Role Title:||Engineering Technician III|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Architectural Planning within the Facilities Department Office of University Planning, the Architectural Planner performs work in support architectural programs and projects. These duties include drafting and sketching of plans using CAD (Computer Aided Design) software for use in concept, design, and construction phases; providing technical assistance for architectural projects; assisting with research, studies, and reports as required and providing occasional on-site photography. Additionally, this position will assist with fieldwork such as coordinating and monitoring projects related to transportation, architecture and landscaping at various stages of development; and assisting in project duties to include design, data collection/analysis, coordinating schedules, budgets, and project scope details. The duties also include assisting the Assistant Vice President for Planning & University Architect (AVP) in preparing a wide range of written and graphic presentation materials (PowerPoint) that the AVP uses in engagement to the university community, including the quarterly Board of Visitor meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field, or equivalent training and/or experience in a related area (urban planning, graphic design, etc.).
- Experience producing working drawings in a professional office setting.
|Employment Conditions:||Must have a criminal background check, Must have a driver's license check, Other (Describe Below), Must have an acceptable and safe driving record|
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
- May be required to travel to non-Blacksburg sites and other Virginia Tech properties. Travel for training, public outreach, public education, and public participation may be required.
|How to Apply for this Job:||
To apply applicants must complete the online application at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #SW0170310, and submit a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references as an attachment to the application. Review of applications will begin on May 2, 2017.
|Employee Category:||Staff (Salary)|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Non-exempt: Eligible for overtime|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with experience|
|Department:||FS - Campus Architecture|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||Mon.-Fri. (8-5)|
|Review Begin Date:||05/02/2017|
|Job Close Date:|
|Restricted to university employees only?||No|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only).
Do you have an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff? (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only)
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Other Doc