Food Safety Extension Associate
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Food Safety Extension Associate|
|Role Title:||Professional Faculty|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
1. Assist in the development of science-based content for instructional materials, Extension publications, fact sheets, on-line training modules, newsletters and other outputs to educate Extension agents, food producers, and consumers to address key issues related to food safety. Primary focus will be towards fresh produce growers, farmers market managers and vendors, and assisting new value-added food producers across the state.
2. Develop evaluation materials (as needed), collect and analyze evaluation data for the following programs. These activities include writing impact statements and annual reports for select programs. 1) Produce Safety, 2) Preventive controls, 3) Farmers Market Food Safety efforts, 4) Food Innovations Program, 5) ServSafe, and others as identified.
3. Serve as the primary contact to develop marketing tools and websites for Extension agents and the public, primarily focusing on farmers’ market managers and vendors related food safety content, and content related to the Food Innovations Program.
4. Assist with training and technical assistance targeted toward fresh produce growers, farmers market managers and vendors, and value-added food producers across the state.
5. Attend regional, state and national meetings as requested to contribute information related to Produce Safety, Farmers’ Market Food Safety and the Food Innovations Program.
6. Support current Extension activities which will include but not be limited to the following tasks:
• Develop and manage an inventory of farm that are require to comply with the Produce Safety Rule in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
7. Plan and serve as the primary contact for USDA NIFA’s Food Safety Outreach Program Project Directors meeting in 2019 to be held in Blacksburg.
Master’s degree in food science or another related field with concentration in food microbiology.
The successful candidate will have good written and oral communication skills and strong computer proficiency.
Preference will be given to the candidate with experience in Extension activities, especially relate to on-farm food safety.
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
|How to Apply for this Job:||
Review of applications will begin April 10th 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Contact Dr. Renee Boyer, Department of Food Science and Technology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA: firstname.lastname@example.org; 540-231-4330.
Application Procedure: Qualified persons are requested to submit all application materials electronically to www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #AP0170083. The following documentation should be included:
The search committee welcomes nominations of outstanding potential candidates. Inquiries regarding this position should be directed to the chair of the search committee.
|Employee Category:||Administrative and Professional Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:||3 years|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Department:||Food Science & Technology|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Job Posting Date:||03/17/2017|
|Review Begin Date:||04/10/2017|
|Job Close Date:|
|Restricted to university employees only?||No|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Other Doc