Sr. Dir. of Universal Design and Accessible Tech
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Sr. Dir. of Universal Design and Accessible Tech|
|Role Title:||Professional Faculty|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS), part of Virginia Tech’s Division of Information Technology, seeks a Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies to lead its Assistive Technologies unit. Reporting to the Executive Director and Associate Provost of TLOS, the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies will provide campus leadership in creating and supporting technology-enhanced learning environments based on inclusive designs and accessible technologies that recognize all users’ unique abilities and skills.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director of Universal Design and Accessible Technologies include but are not limited to:
- Direction of the Assistive Technologies unit
- Coordination across all TLOS units to incorporate universal design approach and align the organization with best practices
- Collaboration with partner organizations to help them meet or exceed University, State, and Federal ADA/accessibility standards
- Promotion, support, and/or coordination of assistive technologies for ADA and Section 504 accommodations for students, faculty, staff, and guests in consultation with ADA and Accessibility Services and/or Services for Students with Disabilities
- Assistive technologies research and development
- Assistive technologies planning and support for student, faculty, and staff access to AT software and hardware
- Consultation with appropriate offices to provide updates, current research and practices, and recommendations regarding implementation of Assistive Technologies
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of universal design
- Knowledgeable of assistive technologies used by individuals with disabilities
- Knowledgeable of the ADA as amended and other federal and state statutes and regulations as pertinent to assistive technology
- A proven ability and interest to learn new technologies with a focus on AT.
- Ability to work and communicate at all levels within a university, and serve as a spokesperson for the Assistive Technologies department.
- Good organizational, project management, team building, and communication /interpersonal people skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in collaborative and consultative team environments
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills
- A history of openness, tolerance, and patience with people
- Graduate degree in a related field
- Broad knowledge and experience with technology-enhanced learning environments, products, services, and pedagogies present in the market today
- Knowledge and experience with accessible web programming
- Experience working in higher education
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
Expected start date is July 1, 2017
|How to Apply for this Job:||
For a full description of the position and requirements, and to apply, please go to www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #AP0170081. Attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to the online application. Review of applications will begin on April 20, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
|Employee Category:||Administrative and Professional Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurante with Expreience|
|Department:||Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||8 - 5|
|Job Posting Date:||03/16/2017|
|Review Begin Date:||04/20/2017|
|Job Close Date:|
|Restricted to university employees only?||No|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References