Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Research Associate|
|Faculty Rank:||Research Associate|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is seeking applicants for engineering staff members to support a growing body of research programs in Aerospace Systems, focusing on artificial intelligence, machine learning, autonomous systems, mission orchestration, coordination at scale, and cyber physical systems. The candidate will support research that primarily focuses on supporting the national security community. Consequently, US citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required. Entry-level and mid-career individuals are sought.
The successful applicant will have technical expertise in software engineering and development supporting cyber physical systems, with specific expertise in three or more of the following areas: software configuration management, object orientated programming, NoSQL databases, data structures, embedded systems, compiled and interpreted languages, and distributed computing.
While this position is a general software engineering staff member of the Center who will support software development for a variety of research projects, initial project work will focus on developing and integrating distributed artificial intelligence and machine learning on DoD platforms. There is a specific interest in individuals who understand software best practices, software configuration management, embedded systems, and advanced data structures in support of running autonomous command and control algorithms.
Specific responsibilities include the following: (1) support the execution of university sponsored research programs by conducting software development and integration; (2) establish software best practices and configuration management for applied research programs; (3) support the quality testing and evaluation of software in meeting research sponsor requirements; (4) ability to follow and/or generate technical documentation concerning research project specific Application Program Interfaces (API), Interface Control Documentation (ICD), and report generation related to number; (5) Present findings to sponsors when appropriate; (6) Contribution to technical write ups for proposals.
- An earned Masters degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related engineering discipline with relevant experience;
- Experience with software best practices and configuration management, especially git;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects; and,
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population;
- Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level;
- Experience working in an academic environment;
- Experience conducting research programs supporting the federal government.
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
|How to Apply for this Job:||
Qualified applicants must electronically submit online application, cover letter, resume/cv, a list of three references to jobs.vt.edu. Apply to posting #SR0160239. Applicant screening will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries should be directed to Jonathan Black, Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org. Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
|Employee Category:||Research Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:||reviewed annually|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F 8:00 - 5:00|
|Job Posting Date:||03/13/2017|
|Review Begin Date:||03/27/2017|
|Job Close Date(if applicable):|
|Restricted to university employees only?|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Due to restrictions established by the federal funding agency, eligible candidates must be either a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. Do you currently meet this requirement?
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References