Policy & Planning Analyst
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Policy & Planning Analyst|
|Role Title:||Professional Faculty|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Policy & Planning Analyst plays a key role in facilitating effective operational and strategic decision-making at Virginia Tech. The Policy & Planning Analyst works with colleagues and constituents across campus to collect, interpret, and present findings that offer insights into the past and future trends of various business and policy issues that impact the university. The primary responsibilities of the Policy & Planning Analyst include:
• Production of special studies and projects in response to requests for financial and policy analyses at the direction of the Director of Financial Planning and the Asst. VP for Budget and Financial Planning;
• Preparation of state budget requests, analysis and reporting of state budget recommendations, and analysis and presentation of the legislative activities of the General Assembly that impact the university and the higher education operating environment;
• Understanding and presentation of statewide policy frameworks and funding formulas that impact the university’s resources or operating environment and authority, including the annual development of the institution’s Six-Year plan of financial and academic initiatives;
• Analysis of the historical funding trends of the university and the forecasting of future funding scenarios, benchmarking of various topics within the higher education environment including national and state policies, administrative efficiency and best practices, various market and regulatory issues, and serving as a subject matter expert on faculty salary competitiveness and the university’s progress towards reaching competitive peer compensation targets;
• Support of the university’s Student Financial Aid budget development process including undergraduate scholarships, graduate assistantship compensation, benchmarking of net tuition prices and student financial aid programs at competitive peers, and reporting and presentation of the annual student financial program activities;
• Providing informed analysis of state, national, and market sectors impacting the higher education operating environment from a policy and financial perspective and the analysis and recommendation to decision-makers of actions that support the mission and strategic plan of the university.
In addition to these requirements, this position will be called upon to assist with other needs as requested in support of the Office of Budget & Financial Planning, the Chief Financial Officer, and the university. The Policy & Planning Analyst will uphold a commitment to the spirit of teamwork and to working effectively with a diverse campus community.
Advanced degree in a related field or a combination of education and experience that equates to an advanced degree;
Interest in higher education finance, public budgeting, tracking and analysis of legislation, benchmarking, and financial analyses;
|Employment Conditions:||Must have a criminal background check|
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
|How to Apply for this Job:||
For a full description of the position and requirements, and to apply, please go to www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #AP0170044 . Attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to the online faculty application. Review of applications will begin on March 2nd, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations should notify the Human Resources Department at 540/231-9331 or HRServiceCenter@vt.edu by the review date.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
|Employee Category:||Administrative and Professional Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Non-exempt: Eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Department:||Budget & Financial Planning|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F, 8-5|
|Job Posting Date:||02/16/2017|
|Review Begin Date:||03/02/2017|
|Job Close Date:|
|Restricted to university employees only?||No|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References