Assistant Professor, Forest Modeling and Analytics
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Assistant Professor, Forest Modeling and Analytics|
|Faculty Rank:||Assistant Professor|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation (FREC) at Virginia Tech is seeking applicants for a 9-month, tenure-track research and teaching position in Forest Modeling and Analytics with an emphasis on both managed and unmanaged forest ecosystems. This position will focus on the integration of cutting-edge quantitative and computational tools into basic and applied forest science from local to regional scales.
• Teach undergraduate course(s) in information technology for natural resources, forest geospatial applications, environmental informatics, or forest analytics/modeling
Ph.D. at time of appointment with emphasis on forest science applications of state-of-the-art modeling and analytics .
• International applications/experience, training and experience related to managed forests
|Must have a conviction check?||Yes|
Anticipated hire date is August 10, 2017. Review of applications will begin on or about January 31, 2017, and continue until a suitable applicant is selected.
Requests for confidentiality will be respected.
For additional information about this position, please contact:
Dr. Val Thomas, Search Committee Chair
|How to Apply for this Job:||
Online application is required. Apply on-line at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting TR0160186. The following supporting documents are also required: (1) letter of interest, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) research and teaching statement (4) university transcripts*, and (5) names and contact information of three professional references.
*Official transcript for highest degree earned will be required prior to the start of employment.
|Employee Category:||Instructional/Research Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year?||Standard Academic Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Department:||Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F 8-5|
|Job Posting Date:||12/16/2016|
|Review Begin Date:||01/31/2017|
|Job Close Date: (if applicable)|
|Restricted to university employees only?|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Research Statement
- Other Doc #2