Health Data Scientist
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Health Data Scientist|
|Faculty Rank:||To Be Determined|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech (BI) broadly integrates disciplines – from molecular science to policy analysis – to address pressing challenges to human health, habitat, and well-being. We use an information biology approach to predict, explain, and visualize the behavior of massively interacting systems. The institute guides emergency response to epidemics, makes urban infrastructure more sustainable, and accelerates the discovery of treatments for chronic diseases.
BI is seeking an outstanding researcher to join our interdisciplinary team and contribute to a variety of projects involving the analysis, simulation, and interpretation of health data, especially infectious disease. The work will be in support of operational organizations in the federal government, the state and local public health department, and part of federally funded research sponsored by NIH & NSF. The candidate will work in the Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Laboratory (NDSSL) and have the opportunity to interact and collaborate within a diverse multidisciplinary team representing the fields of computer science, statistics, economics, physics, software engineering, and bioinformatics. The (Senior) Health Data Scientist will be expected to assist in the development of grant proposals and publications, and presenting findings at scientific meetings, as needed. Primary responsibilities will be assisting and leading multiple applied research projects using analysis and simulation to address public health policy questions.
This position will hold the faculty rank of either research associate or senior research associate according to candidate qualifications. For more information on the university faculty ranks, please review the faculty ranks for research faculty at http://provost.vt.edu/faculty_affairs/faculty_handbook/chapter06/chapter06.html
In accordance with university policy for non-student positions, this position will require a conviction check.
- MPH, M.S., or bachelor’s degree with significant relevant professional experience, in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, or other quantitative health field; or for rank of Senior Research Associate, PhD or MS with significant relevant professional experience in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computational Biology or other quantitative health field.
- Familiarity with mathematical modeling of disease
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
|How to Apply for this Job:||
For more information and to apply for this position, please go to www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting SR0160179. Review of applications will begin on December 6, 2016
Candidates best meeting a combination of required and preferred qualifications will be contacted directly.
|Employee Category:||Research Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F; 8-5+|
|Job Posting Date:||11/22/2016|
|Review Begin Date:||12/06/2016|
|Job Close Date(if applicable):|
|Restricted to university employees only?|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References