Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate|
|Faculty Rank:||To Be Determined|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology at Virginia Tech is seeking applicants for research staff members to support a growing body of research programs in Electronic Systems, focusing on signals intelligence, electronic warfare, and special communications. The candidate will conduct research that primarily focuses on supporting the national security community. Consequently, US citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required. Entry-level and mid-career individuals are sought.
The successful applicant will have technical expertise in software / firmware and analytical techniques supporting RF/wireless systems, with specific expertise in one or more of the following areas: software/cognitive radio, military radar, tactical/public safety communications, electronic warfare, digital signal processing, algorithm design, and/or satellite communications.
While this position is a general research staff member of the Center, initial project work will focus on developing and implementing DoD/prototype waveforms in software defined radios. There is a specific interest in individuals who understand the new business development process and are capable of supporting the creation of new research programs within Electronic or Information Systems. Candidates at the Sr. Research Associate level are also expected to have experience and be capable of supporting research as Principal Investigator.
Successful candidates will have relevant experience with the tools of the trade, such as: (1) low-level embedded programming; (2) FPGA development in VHDL or Verilog; (3) C++ programming; (4) software radio frameworks such as GNU Radio, REDHAWK, and X-MIDAS; (5) simulation tools such as MATLAB; (6) Linux-based development environments and tool chains; and (7) domain-specific modeling and simulation tools such as STK, NS-3, and OPNET.
- For the Research Associate Rank: An earned Masters degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline or a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline with relevant experience.
- For the Senior Research Associate Rank: Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline or a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline and relevant experience.
- Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development; appointments at the rank of senior research associate require demonstrated excellence in research and development;
- Experience with conducting research and development in Electronic Systems; appointments at the rank of senior research associate require experience in providing leadership to programs in these areas;
- Proficiency with the tools germane to field of research;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population;
- Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level;
- Experience working in an academic environment;
- Experience conducting research programs supporting the federal government.
|Employment Conditions:||Other (Describe Below)|
|Must have a conviction check:||Yes|
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
This position may be located either in Blacksburg, VA, or in Arlington, VA, depending on the interests of the individual and the alignment with needs at both locations. Applicants are requested to state the preference on the cover letter. Position is renewable annually with the expectation of continuation assuming a satisfactory performance review and available funding.
|How to Apply for this Job:||
For a complete listing of position qualifications, and to apply, please visit www.jobs.vt.edu, and search for posting #SR0160075. Review of applications will begin on 12/05/2016.
|Employee Category:||Research Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:||reviewed annually|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Non-Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year:||Calendar Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with Experience|
|Location:||Other - Virginia|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:||Blacksburg, VA or Arlington, VA|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F 8-5|
|Job Posting Date:||11/21/2016|
|Review Begin Date:||12/05/2016|
|Job Close Date(if applicable):|
|Restricted to university employees only?|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Due to restrictions established by the federal funding agency, eligible candidates must be either a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. Do you currently meet this requirement?
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References