Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Working Title:||Assistant/Associate Professor|
|Faculty Rank:||To Be Determined|
|About Virginia Tech:||
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics (BEAM) at Virginia Tech seeks applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the assistant or associate professor level in the broad area of mechanics of smart energy materials. Special consideration will be given to candidates with expertise and interests in bio-inspired dynamical systems, nano-engineered systems, and advanced materials for energy applications as well as those candidates whose work is at the food, water, and energy nexus. The successful candidate will be expected to develop a strong research program and contribute to the educational mission of the department at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
• Developing and maintaining a nationally and internationally recognized experimental research program in the area of advanced materials for energy applications
Successful applicants must have a doctorate in a relevant area of engineering or science. Demonstrated strong and broad scholarly interest in the engineering mechanical sciences.
BEAM is a highly interdisciplinary department, so experience in this regard is desirable.
|Must have a conviction check?||Yes|
|How to Apply for this Job:||
Applications must be submitted online to www.jobs.vt.edu, posting #TR0160129 and must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for at least three professional references, and a candidate statement (limited to three pages) describing research and education interests. Screening will begin on November 27, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.
|Employee Category:||Instructional/Research Faculty|
|If restricted or temporary, enter end date:|
|FLSA Status:||Exempt: Not eligible for overtime|
|Tenure Status:||Tenure Track|
|Academic Year or Calendar Year?||Standard Academic Year|
|If part time, enter Percent Time:|
|Pay Range:||Commensurate with experience|
|Department:||Dept of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics|
|Location, if not Blacksburg:|
|Location Zip Code:||24061|
|Work Schedule:||M-F; 8AM-5PM|
|Job Posting Date:||10/11/2016|
|Review Begin Date:||11/27/2016|
|Job Close Date: (if applicable)|
|Restricted to university employees only?|
|Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:||
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
|Reasonable Accommodation Statement:||
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please describe recruiting source identified in previous question (if applicable):
(Open Ended Question)
How did you first learn about this job opening?
- Chronicle of Higher Education - online
- Chronicle of Higher Education - print
- Higher Ed Jobs (www.higheredjobs.com)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - HERC (www.hercjobs.org)
- Diverse Jobs (www.diversejobs.net)
- Insight Into Diversity (www.careers.insightintodiversity.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Roanoke Times Online (www.jobs.roanoke.com)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs (www.jobs.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Tech job site (www.jobs.vt.edu)
- Job Fair (please describe below)
- Journal (please describe below)
- Listserv (please describe below)
- Newspaper - print (please describe below)
- Professional Conference (please describe below)
- From a friend/acquaintance not associated with Virginia Tech (please name below)
- From a Virginia Tech employee/representative/recruiter (please name below)
- Veteran related event/site (please describe below)
- Virginia Employment Commission - VEC
- Other Virginia Tech affiliated website (please describe below)
- Other job board such as Simply Hired, Career Builder, etc. (please describe below)
- Other - Not listed (please describe below)
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Candidate Statement